Monday, December 25, 2017

Setting up a Spark SQL connection with Kerberos

Leave a Comment

I have a simple Java application that can connect and query my cluster using Hive or Impala using code like

import java.sql.Connection; import java.sql.DriverManager; import java.sql.ResultSet; import java.sql.SQLException; import java.sql.Statement;  ...  Class.forName("com.cloudera.hive.jdbc41.HS2Driver"); Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:hive2://myHostIP:10000/mySchemaName;hive.execution.engine=spark;AuthMech=1;KrbRealm=myHostIP;KrbHostFQDN=myHostIP;KrbServiceName=hive"); Statement stmt = con.createStatement();  ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("select * from foobar"); 

But now I want to try doing the same query but with Spark SQL. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use the Spark SQL API though. Specifically how to setup the connection. I see examples of how to setup the Spark Session but it's unclear what values I need to provide for example

  SparkSession spark = SparkSession   .builder()   .appName("Java Spark SQL basic example")   .config("spark.some.config.option", "some-value")   .getOrCreate(); 

How do I tell Spark SQL what Host and Port to use, what Schema to use, and how do I tell Spark SQL which authentication technique I'm using? For example I'm using Kerberos to authenticate.

The above Spark SQL code is from https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/examples/src/main/java/org/apache/spark/examples/sql/JavaSparkSQLExample.java

UPDATE:

I was able to make a little progress and I think I figured out how to tell the Spark SQL connection what Host and Port to use.

...  SparkSession spark = SparkSession .builder() .master("spark://myHostIP:10000") .appName("Java Spark Hive Example") .enableHiveSupport() .getOrCreate(); 

And I added the following dependency in my pom.xml file

<dependency>    <groupId>org.apache.spark</groupId>    <artifactId>spark-hive_2.11</artifactId>    <version>2.0.0</version> </dependency> 

With this update I can see that the connection is getting further but it appears it's now failing because I'm not authenticated. I need to figure out how to authenticate using Kerberos. Here's the relevant log data

2017-12-19 11:17:55.717  INFO 11912 --- [o-auto-1-exec-1] org.apache.spark.util.Utils              : Successfully started service 'SparkUI' on port 4040. 2017-12-19 11:17:55.717  INFO 11912 --- [o-auto-1-exec-1] org.apache.spark.ui.SparkUI              : Bound SparkUI to 0.0.0.0, and started at http://myHostIP:4040 2017-12-19 11:17:56.065  INFO 11912 --- [er-threadpool-0] s.d.c.StandaloneAppClient$ClientEndpoint : Connecting to master spark://myHostIP:10000... 2017-12-19 11:17:56.260  INFO 11912 --- [pc-connection-0] o.a.s.n.client.TransportClientFactory    : Successfully created connection to myHostIP:10000 after 113 ms (0 ms spent in bootstraps) 2017-12-19 11:17:56.354  WARN 11912 --- [huffle-client-0] o.a.s.n.server.TransportChannelHandler   : Exception in connection from myHostIP:10000  java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host 

0 Answers

If You Enjoyed This, Take 5 Seconds To Share It

0 comments:

Post a Comment