Tuesday, October 31, 2017

How to add C/C++ language service to a Visual Studio-based application?

Leave a Comment

I am trying to create a domain specific IDE based on Visual Studio shell. I followed the walk-through to create a basic Isolated Visual Studio Shell Application.

Then I started the basic shell application and drag a C file into it. There's no syntax highlighting because no language service is included yet.

I found the GUIDs for various Visual Studio feature packages. I was expecting some kind of language feature package for C/C++ listed there so I can just add it into my IDE's feature list. But there's not.

So how can I make my IDE recognize the C/C++ language?

Or put it another way, how can I customize Visual Studio to include only features I need?

Some References

There are many extension types I can do with Visual Studio. What interests me most is the Visual Studio-based application. I will put the findings here as my research goes on.

Walkthrough: Creating a Basic Isolated Shell Application

Package GUIDs of Visual Studio Features

Legacy Language Service Extensibility

New Editor and Language Service Extensions

Visual Studio Isolated Shell

Visual Studio Integrated Shell says this:

No programming language is included. However, the integrated shell does provide a framework that allows you to add programming languages.

0 Answers

If You Enjoyed This, Take 5 Seconds To Share It

0 comments:

Post a Comment